Friday, January 3, 2014

Whole Wheat Crackers


This post is actually from a while back. I am not sure why I was saving it.

I have been looking for a cracker recipe that's easy enough to memorize while also tasty enough to make it worth memorizing. I think I finally have come up with a potential candidate. This time, I went with all whole wheat flour. Absolutely yummy. Next time who knows? Possibly chocolate and orange peel. With Celtic salt crystals.
Here is what I used.
Four TBS unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/8 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
2 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

I cut these ingredients together with a pastry cutter until they were pretty well blended.
Then in a cup, I mixed up

1  egg
2 TBS water

I spooned about half of this into the dry ingredients, and barely mixed them. Then I gave the dough just A COUPLE of kneads to pull it together. That is A COUPLE, as in TWO. Not five or twenty or any other such number. If two kneads won't pull the dough together, it is because it needs a tiny bit more liquid. It is NOT because it needs three more kneads. I think I have made my point clear.
I rolled the dough out to 1/8" thickness, cut it with a biscuit cutter, and placed the circles on a parchment lined baking sheet. I poked holes in them with a fork.

They were baked for 19 minutes at 350f. Oh, I forgot about brushing the tops lightly with the left over egg water before baking. It makes them pretty. I sprinkled salt on the wash. On some of the crackers.
Oh, shoot. I forget how many I made. And now we ate them all. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment